Thursday, May 30, 2013

End-of-Life Planning

Is it really possible to step out of our lives for a moment and objectively assess our selves, our resources, and plan for the end?  Having long been involved in stepping away from the heat of transaction negotiations and developing objective business plans, I suspect I find this a little easier than most.  But still, this is an emotional subject.  Can anyone really answer, objectively, such loaded questions as:

  • Do I really want someone to pull the plug?
  • Do I want to have the option of pulling the plug myself?
  • Am I prepared to have things happen to me that are outside of my control?
  • Is what I want now what I will still want when faced with reality?
  • How can I have done what I want done when I have lost control?

Here is a thoughtful TED Talk about that last question.  Judy MacDonald Johnson offers five practices for planning the end.

  1. Make a plan.  "Saying we would like to die at home is not a plan."  "'Just shoot me' is not a plan, it is illegal."
  2. Recruit advocates.  You will need help.  Your physician, your neighbor, your accountant.  Don't count on friends and family alone.
  3. Be hospital ready.  Put all the relevant information and documents in a brightly colored envelope and tape it to your fridge.  Give your advocates a copy. 
  4. Choose caregivers.  Consider personality, resources, needs.
  5. Discuss last words.  What will you need to hear to be ready to let go.

Here is the link to the talk.  It is short, but meaningful for those of us who do not have a large community of family to rely on for care.

http://www.ted.com/talks/judy_macdonald_johnston_prepare_for_a_good_end_of_life.html

Michael

1 comment:

  1. Aging is a natural process in life and each one of has to reach the end of this journey.So seniors should be prepared to face this stage.For those who feel lonely and isolated at home, they can make our retirement days happier by moving to Senior Living Community where they can live by mingling with like minded people of their age and engage in social activities to keep them occupied and also get assistance when needed.

    ReplyDelete