Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Memory and Habits

I mentioned earlier that I am searching for some evidence that we can train ourselves now to resist certain behaviors in the future when our faculties have become impaired.  That we can somehow continue to be watchful against things like scams and bad ideas when they are presented to us.  We have all heard stories about elders being victims of the call in the night from the "grandchild" stranded in a foreign train station in need of some money or a credit card number fast.  See "Getting Scammed" posted 3/4/12.

I have found some hope on this topic in a book titled "Habit", by Charles Duhigg.  I have not finished the book yet, but thought I would report on some of its points.

The book includes a description of how habits are formed, how they can be changed, and how new, good habits can be learned.  It describes the neurology of habit formation - what goes on in the brain and where it goes on.  The key structure seems to be the basal ganglia.  Using brain probes in rats, activity in this structure has been seen to increases when habit forming or habit performing activities occur.  Even when other parts of the brain have been impaired, such as memory centers, habit behaviors continue.  In other words, habits are remembered even when memory is gone.  "Habits never really disappear."

So I wonder if we can develop certain habits, such as reacting with skepticism to people asking for money, bank numbers, SS numbers, etc., and have these habits not be over-ridden by our elderhoodedness (I am going to trademark some of these words!).  The above seems to indicate that the answer could be "yes."  But the bad news is that "people whose basal ganglia are damaged by injury or desease often become mentally paralyzed."  They are no longer able to perform habitual tasks like opening doors, making dinner.  They become overwhelmed by details that would normally be ignored because they are not needed to perform a habitual activity.  Too many doors to choose from, too much noise to recognize a familiar voice, too much cognitive dissonance, etc.

This almost sounds like a description of dementia.  So, I have a question:  What happens to our basal ganglia as we age?  Does it typically deteriorate with age?  If so, how rapidly?  Can other parts of the brain be reprogramed to take over its functionality? Does learning a language or doing crossword puzzles help keep the basal ganglia healthy?

OK, that is more than "a" question.  Kinda wish I had paid more attention in Psych 101.  My neurologist
(yes, I have one) suggested I check out a PBS series called "The Aging Brain" for some possible answers.  You can find it on-line by googling (I'm sorry, Googling) the title.  Let me know if you see anything interesting.  I'll watch it later, but right now I have to find the door to the kitchen.

Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment