Thursday, March 8, 2012

Update on LTC Insurance

Remember a while back I described how Long Term Care Insurance works?  Remember how I said to plan on paying your premiums on time for a very long time - like forever?  Here is a comment from a DR (Dear Reader) (Wow, I actually have one!) about a recent WSJ piece announcing that Prudential will no longer sell individual LTC policies.


"Today's (3/8/2012) Wall Street Journal had an interesting piece  headed Prudential Pares Long-Term Care.  Prudential is no longer selling long-term care insurance, but I love this.  It "would honor existing policies and contract terms so long as premiums are paid on time."   Italics and underscore mine.   My thoughts--when you're old, that's one of the things that gets forgotten--bill paying can be less precise.  I saw that with my mom, with XXX's mom.  So pay those bills on time or put them on autopay or something. And don't get hospitalized so your bill-paying is delayed.  Or that policy will be useless.  After the announcement Prudential stock rose $1.03."

Michael

1 comment:

  1. My wife and I recently took out our first LTC policies. I put them on auto-pay just so I wouldn't have to get upset every time the annual premium (roughly equal to my first year's wages out of school) is due. LTC is necessary, but its price is purely evil... guess that makes it a necessary evil.

    ReplyDelete